Sunday, October 18, 2015

Lesson 4: Are You a Barrier?

I was recently sitting in a doctor's office waiting room and couldn't help but hear a conversation between two family members, where they were blaming everyone and everything for their troubles. Perhaps they were right, but perhaps they were wrong.

After listening to this conversation, I began to think about how I often play the blame game when things don't quite go my way.

The blame game is dangerous in leadership. Especially, when we blame everyone and everything for our troubles. Sometimes we may need to take an honest look in the mirror to see our world correctly. Here are some questions that I have been pondering in my leadership journey:
  1. Do I pose unintentional or unnecessary barriers in my interactions, conversations, and body language to my colleagues?
  2. Are my decisions based on my ego or on the needs of others?
  3. Do I build others up or tear them down?
  4. Do I listen with my ears or with my mouth? 
  5. Do I make decisions based on how I feel at the moment? 
Case in point, leaders must have the courage to take on blame and give others the benefit of the doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment