Sunday, December 13, 2015

Leggo of My Ego

Do you remember the Eggo Waffles commercial? The tagline was always "Leggo of my Eggo." This commercial came to mind today when I reflected on one of my biggest strengths and weaknesses.

For many years, I have had a knack for using technology in the classroom; however, my knack developed into a false sense of security, self-confidence, and EGO. Notice that I didn't say Eggo?

I'm not saying that I didn't have talent, but my false sense of security developed into a dangerous high-wire act. I needed to perform in order to feel valued.

This is a dangerous recipe because it has put the needs of my ego ahead of the needs of others. It revealed itself in inconvenient ways, such as self-centered actions, thoughtless words, and destroyed relationships.

I'm sad to say that I have despised, rejected, and spoke poorly of others because their talent or knowledge was a threat to my value.  I am embarrassed, ashamed and sorry.

The more I think about it, my ego was a sign of my insecurity. My personal value was based solely on being perceived as someone with value and expertise. Having an answer for everything and everyone contradicts effective leadership, yet we see examples of it all around us.

When a leader's ego gets in the way, it can have dire consequences because it can destroy credibility, relationships, and waste valuable resources. It feels good to be an "expert" for a moment, but eventually experts become amateurs. Strong leaders have a healthy sense of when to step up and when to step aside.

So, instead of letting go of my Eggo...I need to practice letting go of my ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment