Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Power of the Mosquito

It has been said in certain parts of Africa that if you think that you are too small to make a difference, then you have never been bitten by a mosquito. It is amazing to think of the havoc and discomfort that one insect can have on humans, but it is a powerful lesson in how our actions make a difference.

It makes me think of choices that I need to make. How often do I neglect my family, friends, and colleagues because I'm too connected? Too busy? Too concerned about work? Perhaps I need to find more time to unplug?

We live in a super-connected society, where answers are at our fingertips. We know more about our Facebook friends, than we know about our families. We say that we don't care about what other's think, but base our self-worth on the number of likes on a post. It is scary to think that many leaders (including myself) live in this world.

As much as I love technology, I hope I never become too connected that I neglect others. I hope I value friendships rather than friend lists. I hope I value others more than I value likes on social media. I hope I value face time with others rather than Facetime. I hope a hug holds more value than a text.

Here is a video that inspired me to spend less time looking at a screen and more time listening and spending time with others:



No comments:

Post a Comment